browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Grimsby

Grimsby Timeline By Tim Lambert
GRIMSBY IN THE MIDDLE AGES
Grimsby was founded by the Danes in the 9th century AD. The old Danish word for village was ‘by’ and this one was probably Grim’s by or Grimmr’s by or village. By the time of the Domesday Book (1086) Grimsby had a population of over 200. By the standards of the time it was quite a large village.
The village of Grimsby grew into a port because it stands on a river called the Haven, which flowed into the Humber. As its name suggests it was a haven for shipping when storms approached. So it was a natural place to build a port. Furthermore there were rich fishing grounds in the North Sea and The Humber was full of fish. Grimsby was bound to become a fishing port.
During the 12th century Grimsby developed into a busy little port. Ships brought timber from Norway and wine (the drink of the upper class) from France and Spain. Coal was brought by sea along the coast from Newcastle. In the Middle Ages wool was exported from Grimsby.
In 1132 an Augustinian Abbey was founded at Grimsby. In 1184 a nunnery, dedicated to St Leonard was founded. By the 13th century there was also a leper hostel at Grimsby, run by the church.
Also in the 13th century friars arrived in Grimsby. The friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world they went out to preach. Franciscan friars (called grey friars because of their grey costumes) arrived in Grimsby in 1240. Austin or white friars arrived in 1293.
In 1201 Grimsby was given a charter by King John (a charter was a document granting the townspeople certain rights). From then on Grimsby had its own court and its own local government. By 1218 Grimsby had a mayor. In the Middle Ages Grimsby was a fair sized town with perhaps 1,500-2,000 inhabitants. It would seem tiny to us but towns were very small in those days.
Grimsby did not have town walls. It was too small and was protected by the marshy land around it. However the town did have a ditch. (The street name ‘gate’ does not mean a gate in a wall. It is a corruption of the Danish word ‘gata’ meaning street. Deansgate was Danes gata or street).
However in the 15th century The Haven began to silt up. As a result Grimsby entered a long period of decline.
GRIMSBY 1500-1800

During the 16th and 17th centuries Grimsby continued to decline and the population fell. Grimsby dwindled to being little more than a large village with a market. However imports of coal grew steadily more important. Grain from the surrounding countryside was exported from Grimsby. In 1556 the wooden bridge over the Haven was replaced with a stone one.
Like all towns in those days Grimsby suffered from outbreaks of the plague. There was a severe outbreak in 1590/91.
In 1538 Henry VIII closed the two friaries in Grimsby. The nunnery and priory followed in 1539.
In the late 18th century Grimsby revived a little. In 1768 a turnpike road was built to Wold-Newton. (A turnpike was a private road). A new Town Hall was built in 1780. Then in 1796 an act of parliament formed a body of men who set about building new quays and deepening The Haven.

GRIMSBY IN THE 19th CENTURY

In 1801 Grimsby was a tiny place with a population of just 1,524. Grimsby was no bigger and perhaps slightly smaller than it was in the Middle Ages. However it grew rapidly. By 1831 the population of Grimsby was just over 4,000. By 1851 it had reached 8,860. By the end of the 19th century the population of Grimsby was 75,000.
Grimsby boomed as a port. Iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax were imported. In the later 19th century coal brought from the South Yorkshire coal field by rail was exported. Many emigrants passed through Grimsby on their way to America.
By 1801 The Haven was deepened. However in the 2nd half of the 19th century it was reclaimed and new docks were built. Royal Dock was built in 1852. The Dock Tower was also built in 1852. Alexandra Dock and Union Dock were built in 1879. No 1 Fish Dock was built in 1856 and No 2 Fish Dock followed in 1877. No 3 Fish Dock was built in 1934. During the 19th century Grimsby fishing fleet greatly expanded.
Amenities in Grimsby improved in the 19th century. In 1800 some streets were paved and lit by oil lamps. After 1838 gas light was used. In 1837 the first police force in Grimsby was formed.
In 1854 a water company was formed to provide piped water (to those who could afford it). Also in the 1850s sewers were dug under Grimsby. A new Town Hall was built in 1863.
Grimsby gained its first newspaper in 1871.
Grimsby and District Hospital was built in 1877.
The railway reached Grimsby in 1848. (The railway was largely responsible for the revival of Grimsby since it made it far easier to transport goods to and from the port). After 1881 horse drawn trams ran in the streets.
Peoples Park opened in 1883. Duke of York Gardens followed in 1894.
Despite these improvements Grimsby was, like all towns, unhealthy and unsanitary. There was an outbreak of smallpox in 1830. In 1832 cholera killed 246 people in Grimsby. Smallpox struck again in 1871. There was also an outbreak of typhoid in Grimsby in 1887.

GRIMSBY IN THE 20th CENTURY

The population of Grimsby was 75,000 in 1901. It grew to 92,000 by 1931. The population then levelled off and hardly grew at all in the 20th century.
The first public library in Grimsby opened in 1900.
In 1901 Grimsby gained electric street lights and the horse drawn trams were replaced with electric ones. They in turn were replaced by buses in 1937.
The Fishermen’s Chapel was built in 1904 and the Corporation Bridge was opened in 1928.
During World War II there were many air raids on Grimsby and 197 people were killed.
During the 20th century industries in Grimsby included fishing and food processing. (An ice factory was built in 1900). However fishing in Grimsby has declined sharply since its heyday in the early 20th century.
However some new industries came to Grimsby in the late 20th century such as light engineering, chemicals and plastics.
New shopping centres were built in Grimsby. Abbeygate Shopping Centre was built in 1984. Freshney Shopping Centre opened in 1989. Furthermore the National Fishing Heritage Centre opened in 1991. Today the population of Grimsby is 92,000.

9th Century The Danes found Grimsby

1086 Grimsby is a large village

12th Century Grimsby grows into a little port

1132 An Augustinian Abbey is founded at Grimsby

1201 King John grants Grimsby a charter

1240 Franciscan friars arrive in Grimsby

1293 Austin friars arrive in Grimsby. The little town has 1,500-2,000 inhabitants.

c. 1450 Grimsby begins to decline as The Haven silts up

1538 Henry VIII closes the friaries in Grimsby

1556 A stone bridge is built over The Haven

1590-91 Plague strikes Grimsby

1780 A new Town Hall is built

1796 A body of men is formed to build new quays and deepen The Haven “THE GRIMSBY HAVEN COMPANY”

1801 Grimsby has a population of 1,524

1832 Cholera kills 246 people in Grimsby

1838 Grimsby gains gas light

1848 The railway reaches Grimsby

1851 Grimsby has a population of 8,860. The port booms and iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax are imported.

1852 Royal Dock is built

1854 A water company is formed to provide piped water.

1863 A new Town Hall is built.

1871 Grimsby gains its first newspaper

1877 Grimsby and District Hospital was built in 1877.

1879 Alexandra Dock and Union Dock are built

1881 Horse drawn trams begin running in the streets.

1883 Peoples Park opens

1884 Duke of York Gardens opens

1887 Typhoid strikes Grimsby

1901 The population of Grimsby is 75,000.

Grimsby gained electric street lights. Electric trams replace the horse drawn ones.

1928 Corporation Bridge opens

1937 Electric trams stop running

World War II In Grimsby 197 people are killed by bombing

1984 Abbeygate Shopping Centre opens

1989 Freshney Shopping Centre opens

1991 National Fishing Heritage Centre opens

Grimsby Timeline By Tim Lambert
GRIMSBY IN THE MIDDLE AGES
Grimsby was founded by the Danes in the 9th century AD. The old Danish word for village was ‘by’ and this one was probably Grim’s by or Grimmr’s by or village. By the time of the Domesday Book (1086) Grimsby had a population of over 200. By the standards of the time it was quite a large village.
The village of Grimsby grew into a port because it stands on a river called the Haven, which flowed into the Humber. As its name suggests it was a haven for shipping when storms approached. So it was a natural place to build a port. Furthermore there were rich fishing grounds in the North Sea and The Humber was full of fish. Grimsby was bound to become a fishing port.
During the 12th century Grimsby developed into a busy little port. Ships brought timber from Norway and wine (the drink of the upper class) from France and Spain. Coal was brought by sea along the coast from Newcastle. In the Middle Ages wool was exported from Grimsby.
In 1132 an Augustinian Abbey was founded at Grimsby. In 1184 a nunnery, dedicated to St Leonard was founded. By the 13th century there was also a leper hostel at Grimsby, run by the church.
Also in the 13th century friars arrived in Grimsby. The friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world they went out to preach. Franciscan friars (called grey friars because of their grey costumes) arrived in Grimsby in 1240. Austin or white friars arrived in 1293.
In 1201 Grimsby was given a charter by King John (a charter was a document granting the townspeople certain rights). From then on Grimsby had its own court and its own local government. By 1218 Grimsby had a mayor. In the Middle Ages Grimsby was a fair sized town with perhaps 1,500-2,000 inhabitants. It would seem tiny to us but towns were very small in those days.
Grimsby did not have town walls. It was too small and was protected by the marshy land around it. However the town did have a ditch. (The street name ‘gate’ does not mean a gate in a wall. It is a corruption of the Danish word ‘gata’ meaning street. Deansgate was Danes gata or street).
However in the 15th century The Haven began to silt up. As a result Grimsby entered a long period of decline.


GRIMSBY 1500-1800

During the 16th and 17th centuries Grimsby continued to decline and the population fell. Grimsby dwindled to being little more than a large village with a market. However imports of coal grew steadily more important. Grain from the surrounding countryside was exported from Grimsby. In 1556 the wooden bridge over the Haven was replaced with a stone one.
Like all towns in those days Grimsby suffered from outbreaks of the plague. There was a severe outbreak in 1590/91.
In 1538 Henry VIII closed the two friaries in Grimsby. The nunnery and priory followed in 1539.
In the late 18th century Grimsby revived a little. In 1768 a turnpike road was built to Wold-Newton. (A turnpike was a private road). A new Town Hall was built in 1780. Then in 1796 an act of parliament formed a body of men who set about building new quays and deepening The Haven.
GRIMSBY IN THE 19th CENTURY
In 1801 Grimsby was a tiny place with a population of just 1,524. Grimsby was no bigger and perhaps slightly smaller than it was in the Middle Ages. However it grew rapidly. By 1831 the population of Grimsby was just over 4,000. By 1851 it had reached 8,860. By the end of the 19th century the population of Grimsby was 75,000.
Grimsby boomed as a port. Iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax were imported. In the later 19th century coal brought from the South Yorkshire coal field by rail was exported. Many emigrants passed through Grimsby on their way to America.
By 1801 The Haven was deepened. However in the 2nd half of the 19th century it was reclaimed and new docks were built. Royal Dock was built in 1852. The Dock Tower was also built in 1852. Alexandra Dock and Union Dock were built in 1879. No 1 Fish Dock was built in 1856 and No 2 Fish Dock followed in 1877. No 3 Fish Dock was built in 1934. During the 19th century Grimsby fishing fleet greatly expanded.
Amenities in Grimsby improved in the 19th century. In 1800 some streets were paved and lit by oil lamps. After 1838 gas light was used. In 1837 the first police force in Grimsby was formed.
In 1854 a water company was formed to provide piped water (to those who could afford it). Also in the 1850s sewers were dug under Grimsby. A new Town Hall was built in 1863.
Grimsby gained its first newspaper in 1871.
Grimsby and District Hospital was built in 1877.
The railway reached Grimsby in 1848. (The railway was largely responsible for the revival of Grimsby since it made it far easier to transport goods to and from the port). After 1881 horse drawn trams ran in the streets.
Peoples Park opened in 1883. Duke of York Gardens followed in 1894.
Despite these improvements Grimsby was, like all towns, unhealthy and unsanitary. There was an outbreak of smallpox in 1830. In 1832 cholera killed 246 people in Grimsby. Smallpox struck again in 1871. There was also an outbreak of typhoid in Grimsby in 1887.
GRIMSBY IN THE 20th CENTURY
The population of Grimsby was 75,000 in 1901. It grew to 92,000 by 1931. The population then levelled off and hardly grew at all in the 20th century.
The first public library in Grimsby opened in 1900.
In 1901 Grimsby gained electric street lights and the horse drawn trams were replaced with electric ones. They in turn were replaced by buses in 1937.
The Fishermen’s Chapel was built in 1904 and the Corporation Bridge was opened in 1928.
During World War II there were many air raids on Grimsby and 197 people were killed.
During the 20th century industries in Grimsby included fishing and food processing. (An ice factory was built in 1900). However fishing in Grimsby has declined sharply since its heyday in the early 20th century.
However some new industries came to Grimsby in the late 20th century such as light engineering, chemicals and plastics.
New shopping centres were built in Grimsby. Abbeygate Shopping Centre was built in 1984. Freshney Shopping Centre opened in 1989. Furthermore the National Fishing Heritage Centre opened in 1991. Today the population of Grimsby is 92,000.

9th Century The Danes found Grimsby

1086 Grimsby is a large village

12th Century Grimsby grows into a little port

1132 An Augustinian Abbey is founded at Grimsby

1201 King John grants Grimsby a charter

1240 Franciscan friars arrive in Grimsby

1293 Austin friars arrive in Grimsby. The little town has 1,500-2,000 inhabitants.

c. 1450 Grimsby begins to decline as The Haven silts up

1538 Henry VIII closes the friaries in Grimsby

1556 A stone bridge is built over The Haven

1590-91 Plague strikes Grimsby

1780 A new Town Hall is built

1796 A body of men is formed to build new quays and deepen The Haven “THE GRIMSBY HAVEN COMPANY”

1801 Grimsby has a population of 1,524

1832 Cholera kills 246 people in Grimsby

1838 Grimsby gains gas light

1848 The railway reaches Grimsby

1851 Grimsby has a population of 8,860. The port booms and iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax are imported.

1852 Royal Dock is built

1854 A water company is formed to provide piped water.

1863 A new Town Hall is built.

1871 Grimsby gains its first newspaper

1877 Grimsby and District Hospital was built in 1877.

1879 Alexandra Dock and Union Dock are built

1881 Horse drawn trams begin running in the streets.

1883 Peoples Park opens

1884 Duke of York Gardens opens

1887 Typhoid strikes Grimsby

1901 The population of Grimsby is 75,000.

Grimsby gained electric street lights. Electric trams replace the horse drawn ones.

1928 Corporation Bridge opens

1937 Electric trams stop running

World War II In Grimsby 197 people are killed by bombing

1984 Abbeygate Shopping Centre opens

1989 Freshney Shopping Centre opens

1991 National Fishing Heritage Centre opens

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>